WPS Office is an acronym for Writer, Presentation and Spreadsheet. It is a cross-platform freemium office application that is developed by KINGSOFT. It is light-weight and feature-rich. The Linux version of the software is being developed by a volunteer community. There are free, premium and professional versions available.
With the free version, you’d do OK.
WPS Office includes the common componenets of a standard office application: Writer (like Word), Presentation (like PowerPoint), Spreadsheets (like Excel) and a WPS PDF viewer.
These components are not just sub-standard copies but very lightweight and equally useful alternatives; and makes WPS Office a very powerful office suite, which is able to process word file, produce wonderful slides, and analyze data as well.
Because WPS Office goes a long way to clone Microsoft’s Office functionalities and looks; It is deeply compatible with all of the latest Microsoft Office file formats.
This means that you can easily open, read and edit documents created with Microsoft Office. So for those folks that have transitioned from Windows to Linux WPS office give them a familiar user interface when creating and editing documents with an office application.
HOW TO INSTALL WPS
1. Go to the WPS office website and download the latest binary package or any other file format that is compatible with your Linux computer/PC. The package should be a .deb package.
2. Open the .deb file/package with the default Ubuntu software center and click on install. The .deb file can also be installed with the
Wait and allow the system to install the application:
Simple as that, WPS can now be accessed like any other application on your system.
For a text document, you can launch the WPS Writer application:
For creating and editing slides presentations you can launch WPS Presentation:
For spreadsheets needs, launch the WPS Spreadsheets:
WPS office also comes with a PDF editor/viewer:
UNINSTALL WPS OFFICE
To remove the WPS office from your system simply go to the ubuntu software centre and remove the application normally.
Go ahead and install it on your computer and share your experience with us. For any issues during installation, you can reach out for help as much as possible.
- Sovereign Tech Fund Invests €1M In GNOME’s Open-Source Project - November 19, 2023
- Google’s Bard AI: ChatGPT Rival or The Next Frontier in AI and NLP Technology - February 8, 2023
- Google Introduces KataOS, as a Security-based Open-source Operating System - December 22, 2022